The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motion during closed session (no staff present)

Guest Irene Weinberg

Guest Irene Weinberg

I* live in a retirement community. A staff member was fired. Some of us wish to have her re-hired. We had a closed meeting (no staff present but residents were present). A motion was made to rehire the fired person and seconded. Our presiding officer said we could not have a motion during a closed session .Is that accurate?

While you are checking those rules you should check to see if the residents even have the authority to hire a staff member without staff input/approval.

I'm guessing the residents voted to recommend that the fired staff member be re-hired.

I* live in a retirement community. A staff member was fired. Some of us wish to have her re-hired. We had a closed meeting (no staff present but residents were present). A motion was made to rehire the fired person and seconded. Our presiding officer said we could not have a motion during a closed session .Is that accurate?

No, there's no such rule in RONR.

But I'm hazy on exactly what organization was meeting here.  Was it in the nature of a mass meeting of residents, or is there a formally organized body of residents with membership requirements?

In any case, it's unlikely that such a body, and vanishingly unlikely that any mass meeting, would have the authority to overrule a personnel decision of the company that actually employed the individual in question. 

But they could express their wishes that the person be rehired, and they could do so in closed session.

Archived