The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Creating New Board Positiion

Guest Estela

I am on the board of a youth sports organization.  Our current bylaws are fashioned under Roberts Rules.  The bylaws list all the officer positions-how they are voted on or removed etc. However, we would like to create one or two new officer positions (not currently covered in our by-laws) as our organization is growing and we have need for some new positions.  My question is do we need to make a by law change to add these new positions before we can fill them  or can our president appoint these positions and we add them in later? Or should it a be a board vote? I have read our by laws and there is only guidance on how to vote and remove current positions. nothing at all about new positions,how they are created or how they can be added in.  Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

I am on the board of a youth sports organization.  Our current bylaws are fashioned under Roberts Rules.  The bylaws list all the officer positions-how they are voted on or removed etc. However, we would like to create one or two new officer positions (not currently covered in our by-laws) as our organization is growing and we have need for some new positions.  My question is do we need to make a by law change to add these new positions before we can fill them  or can our president appoint these positions and we add them in later? Or should it a be a board vote? I have read our by laws and there is only guidance on how to vote and remove current positions. nothing at all about new positions,how they are created or how they can be added in.  Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

You'd need to amend the bylaws to create new officer positions.

Archived