The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How Should This Have Been Handled?

Guest MattD

High School Girls Sport Booster Club with By-Laws and reference of RONR for items not covered by By-Laws.

July, 2013 the executive board set a date, time (6pm-9pm) and location for the upcoming 2013-2014 school year's banquet honoring the team. Not taken into consideration was the possibility of the Boys' team making playoffs. The championship game is being held the same night as the Girls' banquet. To accommodate 2 families who have children on both teams, and a couple of girls who have boyfriends playing, the Banquet Committee Chairperson along with the Coach have arbitrarily decided to change the time of the banquet to 5pm-7pm, one week prior to the banquet. An email was sent out by the coach. Tickets have already been sold for the 6pm-9pm time frame.   As an executive board member, we were taken quite by surprise. When confronted with the fact she didn't have the authority, the reason given by the coach was that there was nothing in the bylaws saying they couldn't do it.  As far as I can tell, there is nothing in the bylaws giving the Chairperson the authority to overrule a decision made by the Executive Board. The coach is not an official member of the Booster Club, but is permitted to sit in on meetings and is not allowed a vote. We feel they've acted out of order.  What can be done about it now (banquet is in 2 days and most people are OK with the time change), and how should this have been handled for future reference?

When confronted with the fact she didn't have the authority, the reason given by the coach was that there was nothing in the bylaws saying they couldn't do it. 

I'm afraid that's not good enough (and the coach should have known better). If the board had the authority to set the date then it was up to the board (or the general membership - see Official Interpretation 2006-13) to amend that decision and change the date. Failing that, the date remains officially unchanged . . . regardless of the fact that "most people are OK with the time change").

OK. That's pretty much what I thought.  Unfortunately, it is what it is and everyone's going to go to the new time anyway. 

Would something like a reprimand at the next general meeting be appropriate?  Basically just say that this is what happened, this is what she did wrong, and for her and everyone else to understand that the rules need to be followed.

The worst part about it is, the President and VP haven't addressed the issue and are going along with the time change, too.  

OK. That's pretty much what I thought.  Unfortunately, it is what it is and everyone's going to go to the new time anyway. 

Would something like a reprimand at the next general meeting be appropriate?  Basically just say that this is what happened, this is what she did wrong, and for her and everyone else to understand that the rules need to be followed.

The worst part about it is, the President and VP haven't addressed the issue and are going along with the time change, too.  

Firstly, I would recommend adopting a motion to Ratify the change.

It would be in order to move to reprimand the committee chair (and the President and VP and whoever else you like) at the next meeting. Such a motion is debatable and amendable and requires a majority vote for adoption. Given that you say that "most people are OK with the time change" and that pretty much everyone was going along with it, I don't have high hopes for the success of such a motion, but you can go ahead and try.

Archived