The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Reconsidering a Motion

Guest Shari

I have a two-fold  question.  At the beginning of the year my group voted on a budget. One of the line items in hte budget was for a scholarship.  The budget was voted on favorably.  Three months later, a vote was taken on whether to give a scholarship. They voted NOT to give a scholarship.  Was that legal? Where can I get some guidance on this. 

Second to that is, from this same vote, can two people who voted in the majority go back and  make a motion for reconsideration at the next meeting?

I have a two-fold  question.  At the beginning of the year my group voted on a budget. One of the line items in hte budget was for a scholarship.  The budget was voted on favorably.  Three months later, a vote was taken on whether to give a scholarship. They voted NOT to give a scholarship.  Was that legal? Where can I get some guidance on this. 

I'm not entirely certain. A budget is often used as guidance for an organization and is not necessarily binding in every detail. If this is the case here, then what happened appears perfectly proper.

On the other hand, if the budget was intended to be binding (at least with respect to this case), then what happened was not done correctly. Rather, a member who wished that the society not give a scholarship should have made a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted in order to change the budget. Such a motion requires a 2/3 vote, a vote of a majority of the entire membership, or a majority vote with previous notice.

Second to that is, from this same vote, can two people who voted in the majority go back and  make a motion for reconsideration at the next meeting?

No. The motion to Reconsider has strict time limits that have already passed. Any member would, however, be free to make a new motion to award the scholarship.

Archived