The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Debating

wmgnovp

I'm on a novice FFA  team, and parli pro team, our chapter has gotten in a heated debate about our incoming chapter officers, we were striking out one name and replacing it with another, we had multiple debates from the nomination committee and many other members from the assembly, have had said that she was older and will not be able to apply next year because she graduates, the other girl can. So that amendment wasn't passed, my friend, who will be a senior next year had applied and is the only senior who didn't get voted in (yet they were debating on seniority) He is trying to do the same thing (amending by striking out a name and inserting his). The debate for it was tabled to the next meeting. I was just wondering, since I am a novice and have only been doing parli pro for a few months and am not sure if I can do this, am I allowed to base my debate off of the last debates by using their stressing on seniority? And am I allowed to reconsider (if it is not passed) and then refer to a committee? 

Thanks!!

am I allowed to base my debate off of the last debates by using their stressing on seniority?

As long as it is relevant to the merits of the question pending you can base your debate off whatever criteria you want (as long as it doesn't violate decorum per RONR pp. 391-394).  If you prefer one candidate because she has more seniority over another you can say so.

And am I allowed to reconsider (if it is not passed) and then refer to a committee?

Not completely sure what you are referring to.

I'm on a novice FFA  team, and parli pro team, our chapter has gotten in a heated debate about our incoming chapter officers, we were striking out one name and replacing it with another...

This is not how elections for officers should be conducted. You might want to learn the right way, especially considering that this is a parli-pro team. :)

See Ch. XIV: Nominations and Elections in RONR for the right way to do it. The short version is that members first nominate candidates of their choice, and nominations are debatable. It is generally advisable to vote on a contested election by ballot. Members vote for candidates of their choice, whether or not those candidates have been nominated. A majority vote is required for election. This should go much more smoothly than the way you've been doing it.

I was just wondering, since I am a novice and have only been doing parli pro for a few months and am not sure if I can do this, am I allowed to base my debate off of the last debates by using their stressing on seniority?

Comments regarding seniority are germane to debate on nominations.

And am I allowed to reconsider (if it is not passed) and then refer to a committee? 

Elections of officers cannot be reconsidered or referred to a committee.

Archived