The Official RONR Q & A Forums
Guest Brett

Terminating a meeting different than adjourning?

Guest Brett

According to Robert's Rules of Order, what is the difference between adjourning a meeting vs. terminating a meeting? 

RONR doesn't define "terminating a meeting."  Maybe it means the same thing as adjourning the meeting or maybe your organization considers "terminating" and "adjourning" different things1.

1 Maybe this organization has Arnold Schwarzenegger as a member and when he is presiding and the meeting is adjourned the others refer to it as having been "terminated."  :D

RONR doesn't define "terminating a meeting."  Maybe it means the same thing as adjourning the meeting or maybe your organization considers "terminating" and "adjourning" different things1.

I hate to disagree with such a seemingly sensible answer, but ...

"An adjournment (that is, the act of the assembly's adjourning) terminates a meeting; it may also end the session." (RONR, 12th11th ed., p. 82)

Edited by Shmuel Gerber

I hate to disagree with such a seemingly sensible answer, but ...

"An adjournment (that is, the act of the assembly's adjourning) terminates a meeting; it may also end the session." (RONR, 12th ed., p. 82)

I call no fair citing the 12th edition when we're all still using the 11th. :)

According to Robert's Rules of Order, what is the difference between adjourning a meeting vs. terminating a meeting? 

None.

If you could explain what people think the difference is, we might be able to figure out what they were really thinking of (although it's also possible that they're simply making things up). :)

Guest BC

Could you explain the different ways in which adjournment can be used in a meeting?  I'm trying to understand the difference between an adjournment that concludes a meeting, and an adjournment that temporarily stalls a meeting (i.e. the business of that meeting will be continued where it left off at the next meeting).  See: 

http://www.davis-stirling.com/tabid/2026/Default.aspx#axzz31pEdM2jP

Could you explain the different ways in which adjournment can be used in a meeting?  I'm trying to understand the difference between an adjournment that concludes a meeting, and an adjournment that temporarily stalls a meeting (i.e. the business of that meeting will be continued where it left off at the next meeting).  See: 

http://www.davis-stirling.com/tabid/2026/Default.aspx#axzz31pEdM2jP

See your (or Brett's) other topic.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.