The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resignation-Vacancy-Notice

J. J.

An officer sumits his resignation prior to a meet to the society's board, which is empowered to fill vacancy for that office.  The officer informs all members of the board.

May notice be properly given that, if the resignation is accepted, the vacancy will be filled?

The board meets once a year.

(I will concede that if the resignation is withdrawn, or not accepted, there would be no vacancy to fill.)

An officer sumits his resignation prior to a meet to the society's board, which is empowered to fill vacancy for that office.  The officer informs all members of the board.

May notice be properly given that, if the resignation is accepted, the vacancy will be filled?

The board meets once a year.

(I will concede that if the resignation is withdrawn, or not accepted, there would be no vacancy to fill.)

Yes. This principle is stated in the footnote on page 654; there is nothing special about the situation discussed there, in my opinion.

I would also note that the officer's informing all members does not constitute proper notice (unless the officer happens to be the secretary and is sending an official notice).

Yes. This principle is stated in the footnote on page 654; there is nothing special about the situation discussed there, in my opinion.

I would also note that the officer's informing all members does not constitute proper notice (unless the officer happens to be the secretary and is sending an official notice).

I would agree, especially with your second line.  :)  I would not regard the that, the resignation being sent out, as proper notice.

The footnote on p. 654 answers my question quite nicely.

The analogy that I thought of was a bylaw amendment that would be conditional upon the adoption of another amendment.

Archived