The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominating Committee Candidate now wants to run for different position

Guest Peggy

Election time.  initally all is according to hoyle (and rror) and bylaws

Nominating Committee

....nominates one candidate for each office. 

....gains acceptance in writing from each candidate.

....sends list of candidates to club Secretary as required

Secretary sends list of Nominating Committee's selections to members

Now, members may submit additional nominations to Secretary (we call these self-nominations)

these "self nominations" must be

... accompanied by the written acceptance of each such additional nominee, confirming his/her willingness to be a candidate.
No person shall be a candidate for more than one position.

Situation IS that one of the individuals who accepted the Nominating Committee's nomination to one role has apparently also submitted a self-nomination accepting candadacy for a different position.

Question:

One group feels he cannot self-nominate as he's already a candidate for one position and this would mean he'd be a candidate for two positions and that's not allowed. 

Another group says he can he resign his acceptance of the 1st nomination (nominating committee) even though it's been formally announced to the membership and say he's changed his mind, now he wants to run for the other role.

what say the experts?

If the statement that "no person shall be a candidate for more than one position" is in your bylaws, then your organization will have to determine exactly what that means, but it seems to me that a very reasonable interpretation is that no person may be nominated for more than one position at any given election. Whether that also means that no person may hold more than one position will be up to you to decide.

You can't really 'resign' a nomination - the only thing you can do is to make it known that if elected you will not accept the position. But I don' think that changes the application of your rule, which appears to deal specifically with nominations.

Question:

One group feels he cannot self-nominate as he's already a candidate for one position and this would mean he'd be a candidate for two positions and that's not allowed. 

Another group says he can he resign his acceptance of the 1st nomination (nominating committee) even though it's been formally announced to the membership and say he's changed his mind, now he wants to run for the other role.

what say the experts?

So far as RONR is concerned, the member can be a candidate for two positions. So unless your rules provide otherwise, you don't have a problem at all.

You can't really 'resign' a nomination - the only thing you can do is to make it known that if elected you will not accept the position. But I don' think that changes the application of your rule, which appears to deal specifically with nominations.

RONR talks about a nominee withdrawing in the specific context of nominations by the nominating committee, and the original nomination was from the nominating committee.

So far as RONR is concerned, the member can be a candidate for two positions. So unless your rules provide otherwise, you don't have a problem at all.

But, the point is that our bylaws DO say that a member cannot be a candidate for more than one position.

So the question is, can he withdraw from the nomination of the nominating committee AFTER the committee's report has been given to the membership?

The way I understand it, once the nominating committee's report is given, you can't withdraw (as someone said above) you can, however, make it known that if elected to that postion, you will not serve. 

and since our bylaws say you cannot be a candidate for more than one position, the 2nd nomination can't be allowed.

or am I being pedantic?  that you can change your mind at any old time?

But, the point is that our bylaws DO say that a member cannot be a candidate for more than one position.

Sorry, I missed that part.

So the question is, can he withdraw from the nomination of the nominating committee AFTER the committee's report has been given to the membership?

The way I understand it, once the nominating committee's report is given, you can't withdraw (as someone said above) you can, however, make it known that if elected to that postion, you will not serve. 

and since our bylaws say you cannot be a candidate for more than one position, the 2nd nomination can't be allowed.

or am I being pedantic?  that you can change your mind at any old time?

So far as I'm concerned, a nominee can withdraw at any time (and I wouldn't limit this to nominations from the nominating committee).

But stay tuned for other opinions on this subject. :)

Archived