The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Approximately

Timothy

Sounds like a "make-work" program for parliamentarians.

And then, of course, you'll have to define what it means to be "inactive". Not to mention what's considered "attendance" (e.g. arrive late? leave early?).

Perhaps you should appoint a "Can Of Worms" committee to deal with this stuff.

Or an "It's not broken; let's fix it" committee.

What are your thoughts on including the word "approximately" in the bylaws? As in, "a member shall be considered inactive if he has not attended meetings in approximately two years."

I would avoid the word completely.  It sounds like one member could be deemed to be inactive after one year and nine months (1.75 years), while another could go 25 months (i.e. two years and one month) before being deemed inactive.

Not to mention what's considered "attendance" (e.g. arrive late? leave early?).

Showing up at all could be deemed being in attendance.  Arriving late or leaving early would count as being 'in attendance' - unless the organization chooses to define attendance differently that is.

What are your thoughts on including the word "approximately" in the bylaws?

The bylaws should be written so that their meaning is absolutely clear and unambiguous. As a general matter, the use of the word "approximately" would seem to run counter to that goal.

As in, "a member shall be considered inactive if he has not attended meetings in approximately two years."

I haven't the slightest idea what this sentence is supposed to mean for several reasons. Even if we assume that "inactive" and "attended" are clearly defined elsewhere in the bylaws, the use of the word "approximately" here means that there will certainly be cases where the meaning of the rule is ambiguous. I'm not sure what exactly the society is trying to say, but whatever it is, there is certainly a better way to say it.

Archived