The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Partial suspension of rights

J. J.

Classy County Club (CCC), which has monthly business meetings, grants its members many rights; RONR is the adopted parliamentary authority.  In addition to those basic rights of an individual member, it grants all members additional rights, e.g. the right to use the pool, the right to use the golf course, the right to lunch at the dining room, and to use the parking lot to park vehicles.

A member is charged with "conduct tending to injure the good name of the society" by cheating at cards.  He is properly found guilty, but the CCC, for whatever reason, only wishes to suspend him.  They only want to suspend his right to participate at the meetings for six months, and to suspend his use of the golf course for a year.  Is that type of partial suspension permitted by RONR, p. 643? 

They obviously could suspend all rights of membership for 6 months, but could they suspend just some of his rights?

Classy County Club (CCC), which has monthly business meetings, grants its members many rights; RONR is the adopted parliamentary authority.  In addition to those basic rights of an individual member, it grants all members additional rights, e.g. the right to use the pool, the right to use the golf course, the right to lunch at the dining room, and to use the parking lot to park vehicles.

A member is charged with "conduct tending to injure the good name of the society" by cheating at cards.  He is properly found guilty, but the CCC, for whatever reason, only wishes to suspend him.  They only want to suspend his right to participate at the meetings for six months, and to suspend his use of the golf course for a year.  Is that type of partial suspension permitted by RONR, p. 643? 

They obviously could suspend all rights of membership for 6 months, but could they suspend just some of his rights?

If the penalty options are spelled out in the bylaws, and your proposal consitutes a diminution of the penalty, no (p. 591), otherwise I'm at a loss to see why not.

If the penalty options are spelled out in the bylaws, and your proposal consitutes a diminution of the penalty, no (p. 591), otherwise I'm at a loss to see why not.

There is no specific penalty specified in the bylaws.  In fact, there are no bylaws or special rules on discipline.

I would agree if there was a rule that said, "A member under suspension shall lose all rights of membership," that would prohibit this penalty.

What ARE the governing documents?  Is there a contract signed by members, stating what they get for their dues?  Who are the "they" that want to suspend his rights?  What gives them their authority?  

RONR, 6n:  Members in good standing are those whose rights as members of the assembly are not under suspension as a consequence of disciplinary proceedings or by operation of some specific provision in the bylaws.

Notice the "or" in that statement.  I believe the member's rights can be limited in any way the organization wishes, subject to what the answers are to the above questions.

CCC needs help in so many ways!

What ARE the governing documents?  Is there a contract signed by members, stating what they get for their dues?  Who are the "they" that want to suspend his rights?  What gives them their authority?  

My understanding is that J.J. is asking about the society suspending the member's rights at the conclusion of the formal disciplinary procedures in Ch. XX.

Archived