The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Secretary

Guest Daisy Carrington

Guest Daisy Carrington

I have just been elected to a secretary position to a PTA that has been in existence for a while. As secretary, if I cannot be at a meeting, who would normally take the minutes? The resigning secretary told me that if I can't be at a meeting, it is not a problem. Someone there would record the minutes on a tape recorder for me and I could type them from the tape. Is this normal?

After calling the meeting to order, the chair should conduct a brief "election" to select a secretary pro tem (a temporary secretary). That person should submit the draft minutes for approval at the next regular meeting. She could ask you for advice and assistance but they're her draft minutes, not yours.

Guest Daisy Carrington

Thank you, Edgar. The problem is, this is a PTA so they don't generally follow RONR, even though we've adopted them. For the last 3 years (or more?) someone's been recording the minutes and handing them to the secretary to type when she was absent. Can you give me a page in RONR to cite that a secretary pro tem is elected? I've looked to no avail. I certainly don't want to offend and be disruptive by saying "no" to listening to a tape of a meeting (can you imagine??). But if I can't be there, chances are I had something else to do. It seems like cruel and unusual punishment to have to listen to a meeting on tape.

Can you give me a page in RONR to cite that a secretary pro tem is elected? I've looked to no avail.

Did you look in the Index? Under "secretary pro tem"?

RONR also notes that, while a recording (I don't think there's "tape" anymore) of the meeting can be useful in helping the secretary prepare the draft minutes, the recording should not be confused with the minutes. In other words, the minutes should not be a verbatim transcription of the meeting. 

Edited to add: Is "verbatim transcription" redundant?

Oh yeah, the index. They called it a tape recorder. It looked like a dictaphone. And yes, it is redundant all over again. Where in the world can one obtain a picture small enough to load into the RONR profile page? It appears all of mine are over 50kb. I guess that is why there are a lot of blank profile pics.

Archived