The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Conflict of Interest

Guest tina jackson

Guest tina jackson

I am currently a board member for a non-profit agency.  We will be voting soon on whether or not to approve a particular project.  If the project is approved, the executive director would like to hire my husband to manage the project.  Should I be voting on this, as the vote is based on project approval, not who would be working on the project?

"No member should vote on a question in which he has a direct personal or pecuniary interest not common to other members of the organization. For example, if a motion proposes that the organization enter into a contract with a commercial firm of which a member of the organization is an officer and from which contract he would derive personal pecuniary profit, the member should abstain from voting on the motion. However, no member can be compelled to refrain from voting in such circumstances. " RONR, p. 407, ll. 22-31.

Whether that applies to your situation and if so, whether you should refrain from voting is something you will need to decide for yourself. Also, since you are talking about a non-profit organziation, make sure there are no applicable statutes that you need to comply with.

[Edited to correct spelling.]

Archived