The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can a person giving a report move for its approval?

Guest William Edwards

Though a few more details might change my course of thinking,  p. 508 ll. 4-10 (RONR 11th Ed.) say it should be someone else.

p. 508 deals with the rare case where the society is to adopt the report in its entirety. In most cases, it is only necessary to adopt the recommendations in the report, in which case the reporting member would normally make the motion.

Which I can't seem to get my head around that. What could possibly be gained by someone other than the reporting member making the motion to adopt the entire report?

p. 508 deals with the rare case where the society is to adopt the report in its entirety. In most cases, it is only necessary to adopt the recommendations in the report, in which case the reporting member would normally make the motion.

All true, though I'm not sure what Guest_William is actually asking about.  He writes about "acceptance of" the report, and makes no mention of recommendations, if any.  It may be that the report is purely informational and as such, is not accepted or adopted or approved or anything except placed on file.  Perhaps Guest_William will return to fill in some details.

But if it is a bad idea, it is a bad idea no matter who makes the motion.

Sure, but you know full well that committee chairmen or reporting members move to adopt their entire report constantly.  Disallowing it, and only allowing a member of the regular assembly to make it in rare circumstances is certainly a best practice.

I'm not saying that's the principle behind the rule, since the rule was there before any of us were born and I don't know the principle behind it, but the net effect of it is a very good thing.

Guest William Edwards

Thanks for the swift responses to my post.  To clarify,. In my Fraternity, when the officers make their various reports detailing the events that have transpired during the last quarter, they always end by moving for acceptance of their report.  The report never calls for approval of an action item or makes any recommnedations, just approval and acceptance of the report.

Typically goes in this order, Secretary makes a report, moves for acceptance, someone seconds, the presiding officer entertains a few questions from the floor to the secretary who answers, then we vote to approve the report.  In this instance is it okay for the secretary to move for acceptance, and in which case would it not be?

Thanks for the swift responses to my post.  To clarify,. In my Fraternity, when the officers make their various reports detailing the events that have transpired during the last quarter, they always end by moving for acceptance of their report.  The report never calls for approval of an action item or makes any recommnedations, just approval and acceptance of the report.

Typically goes in this order, Secretary makes a report, moves for acceptance, someone seconds, the presiding officer entertains a few questions from the floor to the secretary who answers, then we vote to approve the report.  In this instance is it okay for the secretary to move for acceptance, and in which case would it not be?

So, let's suppose the report the Secretary makes is a list of members who owe dues. Now suppose member Abner Brown started to pay his dues, but didn't, resulting in the Secretary making a mistake. If after the Secretary reads the report the society accepts it, it becomes official so Abner Brown no longer owes dues, whether he paid them or not. (At least until the society goes back and amends the report.) But if no such motion were made, the report would be received as information only. Abner Brown would still owe dues and the Secretary could correct the list at the next meeting without an official act of the society.

Archived