The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Planning Session

plcorir

I am a member of a newly-elected Board (of 9) for a not-for-profit membership organization which takes effect June 1st.  In preparation for our 1st open Board meeting where we will be electing officers and functional directors, I had proposed having a "planning session" type meeting to get ourselves organized for the Board meeting.  The purpose was to provide some education to new Board members (i.e. make sure they understand the Bylaws, etc.) and also to discuss interests/qualifications related to positions individuals may be interested in serving in on the Board.  There were to be NO business decisions made (i.e. motions) or other policy decisions made at this planning session, but those invited to attend were to be only the new Board members.  My question:

Is it OK to have this type of "closed" planning session meeting?

Is it OK to have this type of "closed" planning session meeting?

Well, you're free to get together with whomever you want. Just don't call it a meeting because, in the parliamentary sense of the word, it probably ain't. For one thing, it's not clear that you are authorized to call a meeting. For another, if your bylaws do authorize special meetings of the board and if your bylaws do authorize you to call them, there may not be enough time for you to give proper notice. Finally, if it's a board meeting then all members of the board must be "invited", not just the new ones.

So, again, get together with whomever you want. Just don't use the "m-word". I'd even avoid the use of "planning session" or anything that suggests this little gathering might be in any way official.

Archived