The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Time limit to withdraw resignation

Guest Bill Johnson

He has until the resignation is accepted.  A resignation must be accepted, through a motion passed by a majority vote, by the group (i.e. the Board or the general membership) that is empowered to accept the resignation.  So right up to the time the motion to accept the motion is made the member can withdraw the motion.  Even when the motion is made, the member could request that the motion by withdrawn.  Nothing is final until after a vote takes place.

He has until the resignation is accepted.  A resignation must be accepted, ...  Nothing is final until after a vote takes place.

...unless "there has been a reasonable opportunity for it [the resignation] to be accepted"  --  p. 291.

I suppose there could be some lively arguments over what was "reasonable" in particularly contentious situations when the resigner changed his mind in a somewhat tardy manner.

What if previous resignations had not been voted on to "accept"?  Isn't that a precedent that the community has accepted?

"... if a customary practice is or becomes in conflict with the parliamentary authority or any written rule, and a Point of Order (23) citing the conflict is raised at any time, the custom falls to the ground, and the conflicting provision in the parliamentary authority or written rule must thereafter be complied with."   (RONR, 11th ed., p. 19).

One other thing.  He never said "I resign"  He said "I'm done" and turned over his name plate.  Most of the people there felt he resigned.

It should be noted that RONR specifies that a resignation is submitted in writing. Which, if enforced, makes situations like this impossible.

But I've heard of similar situations before. The president of one association disagreed with what the majority intended to do and was trying his best to put a stop to it. At one point, he became particularly frustrated and said, "I'm not going to stand for it. I'll resign before I let you do that." One of the members of the association stood up and said, "I move we accept his resignation." The motion passed by an overwhelming majority.

I tell that to say that, when there is some question of whether a person intended to resign or not, a vote to accept the resignation clears things up.

True, but saying "I'm done" is probably not what was intended by that. The thing that makes it seem like a resignation is that he flipped his nameplate over. That is not one of the alternatives that RONR allows.

Perhaps not, but if any other member believed that the intent of those actions was to resign, he could have moved to accept the resignation.  The nameplate flipper would have had an opportunity at that point to clarify his intentions. 

When someone says "I'm done" or "I resign" or something that suggests a resignation then a timely motion is warranted. It's amazing how people use the threat of resignation to try and force their opinions on others.  I experienced this once.  The general membership, at an AGM, was not pleased with the recent work of the Board.  One of the directors who was not up for election got upset by some of the comments.  When he stated, "If I have to keep listening to this, I am going to resign" someone jumped up and moved to accept the resignation.  Needless to say the director quickly backed down and stated that he really did not want to resign.

When someone says "I'm done" or "I resign" or something that suggests a resignation then a timely motion is warranted. It's amazing how people use the threat of resignation to try and force their opinions on others.  I experienced this once.  The general membership, at an AGM, was not pleased with the recent work of the Board.  One of the directors who was not up for election got upset by some of the comments.  When he stated, "If I have to keep listening to this, I am going to resign" someone jumped up and moved to accept the resignation.  Needless to say the director quickly backed down and stated that he really did not want to resign.

Yep.  Works like a charm, and if it doesn't, then it works even better.

Archived