The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Fraudulent meeting minutes?

Blendedfrog

Short story... Fire Department can't find meeting minutes from something that occurred over 4 years ago.  Of all the minutes in the books, this one seems to  have mysteriously disappeard.  The issue has reared its ugly head and we need to see the original minutes to act on the issue at hand.  

This past week, unable to find the meeting minutes of said meeting, the secretary and treasurer have taken it upon themselves to rewrite the meeting minutes from over 4 years ago using a recording of said meeting that they had on digital media.  I feel that this is inappropriate and illegal.  We voted on the ORIGINAL meeting minutes, and not the one that the Secretary and Treasurer took upon themselves to rewrite.  My feelings and sentiments on this subject are felt by others that think the same way I do.  

Would you consider this "fraud", or is this ok to do?  

Before we ask our officials to resign we would like someone elses input on this.

I don't quite follow the controversy.  But fundamentally, the minutes record, truthfully, what happened.  The truth is the truth.  

If the current secretary and treasurer can determine what happened, four years ago, from four-years-old tapes of what happened then, and if they will then document what happened, based on those recordings, what quarrel can we have with the truth?

Blendedfrog. I don't quite understand which side we're on.

When the Secretary and Treasurer produce their reconstructed minutes, and you, Mr B-frog,  know what is in error in those minutes (let's not use words like "fraud"), move to amend the minutes to correct them.  (Amend something previously adopted - p. 305)

You may have to produce proof that you are right, of course.

When the Secretary and Treasurer produce their reconstructed minutes, and you, Mr B-frog,  know what is in error in those minutes (let's not use words like "fraud"), move to amend the minutes to correct them.  (Amend something previously adopted - p. 305)

You may have to produce proof that you are right, of course.

In this situation, wouldn't either the Secretary or the Treasurer have to move to amend the previously adopted (and missing) minutes by substituting their version for them? In such a case, Blendedfrog (or any other member), can move to amend that motion while it is pending in any way he sees fit simply by using the subsidiary motion to Amend.

This past week, unable to find the meeting minutes of said meeting, the secretary and treasurer have taken it upon themselves to rewrite the meeting minutes from over 4 years ago using a recording of said meeting that they had on digital media.  I feel that this is inappropriate and illegal. 

I, on the other hand, think this is the right thing to do. As Mr. Honemann notes, the assembly still has to approve the reconstructed minutes (by adopting a motion to amend them) and it could even order the recording played at the meeting if it wishes.

If, at some point in the future, the missing minutes turn up, and there is any substantive discrepancy, you can amend the amended minutes once again.

I'd say you're lucky the secretary kept a recording (though I'm not sure what the treasurer has to do with this).

In short, I don't see what the problem is.

Would you consider this "fraud", or is this ok to do?  

Before we ask our officials to resign we would like someone elses input on this.

It is unfortunate that the minutes are missing, but given that they are, I don't see a problem with this approach. As Mr. Honemann said, the reconstructed minutes will have to be approved via a motion to amend the previously adopted minutes. So by the time they become official, they are no longer just the work of the Secretary and Treasurer.

I don't understand the emphasis on ORIGINAL minutes. It occurs to me that there could be two digital recordings, one of the meeting in question and one of the meeting where the minutes were read and approved. I see no reason to think that a recording of the secretary reading the minutes is any less a copy of the minutes than a paper copy bound in a book. If the secretary transcribes that recording and then incorporates any corrections made, you still have the ORIGINAL minutes, as corrected.

Archived