The Official RONR Q & A Forums

overturning a vote at the board table

Guest Cathy

We have had numberous votes over the past year about things to with our organization and the issue is that even after the board has voted on it one of the board member continuously brings it back up because the vote is not what she wants.   I have be taught that once the board has voted on an item and there is no new or illegal information to present, all board member need to accept the voice of the majority live by the decision.   is this in Roger's rules or can you shed light on the subject.

I have be taught that once the board has voted on an item and there is no new or illegal information to present, all board member need to accept the voice of the majority live by the decision.

I'm afraid you've been taught wrong.

If the motion was defeated then it can be made again ("renewed") by any member at any subsequent meeting as if it had never been made.

If the motion was adopted then it can often be rescinded ("voided") or otherwise amended (changed). Again, any member can make this motion to Amend or Rescind Something Previously Adopted (ASPA).

Very little is carved in stone in RONR-Land. Things change. Sometimes people simply change their minds.

Edited to add: it will take only a few seconds to dispose of a motion only one member want to consider.

"I have be[en] taught..."

Fire your teacher.

The introduction to Robert's (not "Roger's") rules (p. xliv)   does state:

"The great lesson for democracies to learn is for the majority to give to the minority a full, free opportunity to present their side of the case, and then for the minority, having failed to win a majority to their views, gracefully to submit and to recognize the action as that of the entire organization, and cheerfully to assist in carrying it out, until they can secure its repeal.”

Take note of that last phrase: "until...repeal"  That would appear to be what your Board member is up to.

Archived