The Official RONR Q & A Forums

minutes as read

colleenm

I received the minutes as read yesterday in the mail.  I was so furious not very pleased.  We have a volunteer secretary which was asked by the president to do minutes way back in March.  the secretary just joined the organization but by passed the membership application.

She wrote down a member 's name as "club is for all members not this X(member' name).  X's Club

is this considered as a public attack member personally?  is there anything that can be found in the Robert Rules?

I don't understand the problem, colleenm.

Let me suggest that if the secretary wrote ""club is for all members not this X(member' name)" in the minutes, and if that's her inserting her opinion into the minutes, then she has no business doing that.  That's because she has no business inserting any of her opinions into the minutes, ever.

Tell me one thing more, please, colleenm.  You say the minutes were read, but were they read to the assembly, at a meeting, and were they then approved by the assembly?

If so, does the membership know that it has the right, and the duty, to correct the proposed minutes before the membership approves those proposed minutes, and one way to correct minutes that include the secretary's opinions is to strike out all of those opinions before approving that secretary's draft?

(O Great Steaming Cobnuts, that's asking two more things.  Us dropouts should keep our fingers handy before trying to count.)

colleenm, if I have missed your point, please come back and say what I missed.

(... Get it? "fingers"?  "handy"?

(O it's good to be home.)

That is Correct,  the Secretary wrote down as Club is for all members not Sam's club.  I felt it's a personal attack toward Sam.  The minutes were mailed to the members and the corrections will be taken place on next meeting. 

I am simply asking if there is anything in the Robert Rules indicating as " personal attack"

I would say that unless it was part of a motion the Club considered (such as a motion reminding a member "Sam" who had been trying to run it more than he had the authority to that the Club belongs to the members and not just him) that language should be removed.  I don't know if I would consider it a personal attack (though I can see why it would be seen as one) as much as an opinion that doesn't have any place in the minutes.

Archived