The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Modifying meaning of main motion

Guest Mary AF

The IN BRIEF guide says on page 126 that a main motion can be clarified or, within limits, modified.  What are the limits to amending a main motion?  For example, can the motion be amended to say the opposite of its original intent, as long as it is still germane to the topic?

What are the limits to amending a main motion?

That is sort of a broad question but see RONR pp. 138-139 regarding improper amendments and pp. 130-169 for the motion to Amend in all its glory.

For example, can the motion be amended to say the opposite of its original intent, as long as it is still germane to the topic?

Possibly.  As Edgar said it is in order to amend a motion to censure to change it to one of commendation.  However, a proposed amendment  "that merely makes the adoption of the amended question equivalent to a rejection of the original motion" would be out of order (RONR p. 138 ll. 13-23).

I am an unfortunate young Co-Chairman, inexperienced with committees and Boards, who very much loves being involved with my committee. I was also given charge of taking minutes. I would greatly appreciate and NEED any and all advice you might offer.

My committee is very small and informal, members predominantly seniors, residing as a member for decades. The bi-laws have long been forgotten or non-verbally/formally modified for whatever convenience, as more of a do-as-I-say and don't disrespect me format.  They are often out of order, speak and speak over each other even while a motion is being passed.

Immediately after the meeting it became clear that my Chairperson had entirely different interpretation of the motion we passed. She ruled her interpretation would be submitted, and that she would select whomever members she wished, if she wanted another interpretation. Her interpretation put the motion and intentions for it in jeopardy of being approved, as our funds would be insufficient.

I was told, as the person taking minutes, if I needed clarification on a motion and/or members interpretations of what was passed, that I could contact the members, without obtaining any permission, because accuracy was most important.  Q: Is this correct?  With best interest at heart, I naively did.  I'm still regarded kindly by most, and despised by my Chairperson...who's conduct is quite vengeful.  Q: Any advise, please?     

Immediately after the meeting it became clear that my Chairperson had entirely different interpretation of the motion we passed. She ruled her interpretation would be submitted, and that she would select whomever members she wished, if she wanted another interpretation. Her interpretation put the motion and intentions for it in jeopardy of being approved, as our funds would be insufficient.

I was told, as the person taking minutes, if I needed clarification on a motion and/or members interpretations of what was passed, that I could contact the members, without obtaining any permission, because accuracy was most important.  Q: Is this correct?  With best interest at heart, I naively did.  I'm still regarded kindly by most, and despised by my Chairperson...who's conduct is quite vengeful.  Q: Any advise, please?     

Well, for starters, committees generally don't need to take minutes at all, since the committee's reports serve as its records.

If this particular committee does take minutes, however, then your duty in taking the minutes is simply to record the exact wording of the motion as it was stated by the chair when it was put to a vote. and I certainly see nothing wrong with contacting members of the committee if there is any question on the subject. Interpreting the motion is a different matter entirely.

It appears that due to the informality of the committee, it may be difficult to determine what the exact wording of a particular motion was, so this practice should be tightened up. Committees are much less formal than full-fledged assemblies, but it is still critically important that the chair states exactly what the committee is voting on, so you don't have these sorts of problems.

Archived