The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Membership requirement

bgoff60

I am a member of a local community organization.  A non-profit if that matters.  Recently, the Board of Directors instituted a by-law change that states that in order to vote at the next general membership meeting, you must be a paid member for a full 30 days prior to the next general membership meeting.  My question is that 'good form' and is that a reasonable by-law to enact?

To answer your first question, 'yes' they do have the stated authority to change the by-laws...but they must then be approved by the general membership by a simple majority.  Since that time, the people have had a change of heart (OR at least the number of people who DID approve the change as members of the group) have left the organization or have not maintained their membership and hence their voting right.  I (we?) were looking for a defensible argument that we can present to the board to remove this stipulation...something along the lines of voting in any local, state or federal election and the notion that you CAN vote in those events without the 30 day stipulation of membership (Registration)...

Archived