The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Email Correspondence of Board Members

Guest DGK

HI All,  Can anyone advise where I can find specific references regarding what action can be taken by a Board member against the president and or entire Board if they intentionally exclude you from email correspondence and discussions pertaining to club matters.

Thanks

HI All,  Can anyone advise where I can find specific references regarding what action can be taken by a Board member against the president and or entire Board if they intentionally exclude you from email correspondence and discussions pertaining to club matters.

See FAQ #20.

Additional actions may be appropriate depending on what exactly you're being excluded from. If you are excluded from actual meetings, for instance, that would render any business transacted at such meetings null and void. See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 247-260 for information on Point of Order and Appeal.

HI Josh, Thank you for your response.  The only exclusion that has occurred was during email discussions, which resulted is subsequent motions for votes.  The exclusion from the email discussions was found when I read the minutes and reference was made to electronic votes.

HI Josh, Thank you for your response.  The only exclusion that has occurred was during email discussions, which resulted is subsequent motions for votes.  The exclusion from the email discussions was found when I read the minutes and reference was made to electronic votes.

It's not valid for the board to vote by e-mail at all (unless it is authorized to do so by the bylaws or a higher-level rule), and even if this practice is authorized, such a vote would be null and void if a member of the board was excluded.

Archived