The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Temporary removing the power of the chair

Guest John

Our by-laws give the President the authority to act as the chair during our meetings.   Unfortunately as chair he likes to not recognize people, rule valid motions out of order, and not allow members to appeal the chair.   

How does the membership remove him as the chair for one meeting and appoint someone else to preside over the meeting? Per our by-laws we have a order of succession however we want to pick someone further down the list.   Would this be possible?

From reading up on RONR  we need to use "I move to suspend the rules"  but I'm unsure how to state the rest.     

Am I right that the chair does not need to recognize me before moving to suspend 

You are correct that this is an application of suspending the rules. If you have a specific person in mind who you wish to act as the chair pro tem, you can move to suspend the rules and appoint Mr. X as chair pro tem. The motion requires a second and a 2/3 vote for adoption. A chair pro tem can only be selected for one session at a time, so if you want to have someone else preside at your next meeting as well, you will need to repeat the process of suspending the rules. And the good news is that RONR allows this motion to be put to a vote by its maker if the chair refuses to recognize it. See RONR, 11th ed. pp. 651-652 for the details.

The general form is:   I move to suspend the rules and...<do whatever the rules were keeping me from doing>."   

It is not necessary to identify the exact rule or combination of rules that would ordinarily interfere with the proposed action, as long as it is known that, whatever those rules are, they may be suspended.

Basically I would like to remove the chair and have another person act as the chair for the meeting.   Both our bylaws and RONR allow the suspension of rules with a 2/3 vote.

"I move to suspend the rules of both our bylaws and Roberts and remove the chair appointing that guy as the new chair.  "

If at the start of the meeting I stand up, raise my hand, maybe say Mr. President and  president says my name do I have the floor? 

Can I say "I thank the Chair for recognizing me <pause>, I move to suspend the rules and remove the chair appointing that guy as the new chair"

Am I correct in thinking he can not unrecognize me unless I address him directly such as asking him a question.   

If at the start of the meeting I stand up, raise my hand, maybe say Mr. President and  president says my name do I have the floor? 

After the President has recognized you you have the floor.

Can I say "I thank the Chair for recognizing me <pause>, I move to suspend the rules and remove the chair appointing that guy as the new chair"

There is no requirement under RONR to thank the Chair for recognizing you but I suppose thanking him before cutting his legs from under him might lessen the blow somewhat.  :)

Am I correct in thinking he can not unrecognize me unless I address him directly such as asking him a question.   

Well, any member who has the floor should be addressing the Chair (not other members) so you should be directly addressing him.  The Chair cannot decide to unrecognize you just because he doesn't like what you are saying unless what you are saying violates decorum (which it wouldn't in this case).

Here is a script on what to say/do in order to Suspend the Rules to elect a Chair pro tem and what to do when the Chair takes issue with the attempt.  Be aware that the script uses citations from the 10th Edition and we are on the 11th now but the concepts haven't changed.

suspendrules.pdf

Archived