The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Editing approved minutes

Guest Mary

I am the secretary for a nonprofit organization. Our president wants to
"edit" minutes from a year's worth of meetings before he gives them to a

potential donor. He thinks there is too much detail, and there probably is, but

can he change the minutes without each change being voted on by the board?

g40, I don't even see why the donor would need to see the Minutes - and anyway the Board would have to provide permission to the President to hand out the Minutes - either the full set of Minutes or an excerpt.  And if the Excerpt option is provided, it should only be done with the Board either making the excerpts themselves (preferable) or to specifically give the President the power to do so.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anna Maria Caporiccio

When is appropriate time to send out the minutes from AGM.   I have always understood that the minutes are sent out only at the time specified in our ByLaws along with the notification of the next AGM, and not before.

However it seems, that the new Board members want to look at the minutes of this year's AGM, and decided whether or not, they are going carry out the decision made at that time for this year.  I understand that if something has been agreed to by the general membership, and voted upon, then the Board is bound to carry out these decisions. 

After some hours, I see no new topic posted by Guest_Anna Maria Caporiccio; and if she's still here, I'd like to add my request to Thomas Ralph's, that she post her question as a new topic.  I think it's a legitimate, worthwhile question, and I look forward to Ms. Caporiccio's posting it up, if she pleases.

Archived