The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Recording minutes

Guest Sara smith

At our bod meetings, each member reads his report and hands it to me for my records(I am the Secretary) One of the members does not read his report, but does hand it to me. Since he did not read it, should I record what he wrote or should I record that he handed me his report?

If you're saying that your usual procedure is to copy the reports into the minutes, the way they were as they were read aloud and then handed to you, then you should stop doing it that way.  That's not how minutes work.

Of course, if your organization wants to do it your way, then none of us at the world's premiere Internet parliamentary forum can stop you.  But we can't give you good advice on how to do it wrong, better.

Perhaps, then, your question is not what's a better way to do it wrong, but that, since it was done wrong at the meeting, how should the minutes properly read?

Well, then.  The minutes are a record of what was done at a meeting.  Your minutes usually will read that reports were read, or delivered, or presented (pick your synonym of choice), to the assembly ... more or less, right?  In this current questionable circumstance, the report clearly was not presented or read to the assembly, so you cannot say that it was.  You are left with recording, for completeness, the fact that the member handed you his report.

I think.  I can't cite you an RONR reference for this, which means, consider this advice with caution, and you certainly can't tell anyone that I told you that this is what RONR says.

At our bod meetings, each member reads his report and hands it to me for my records(I am the Secretary) One of the members does not read his report, but does hand it to me. Since he did not read it, should I record what he wrote or should I record that he handed me his report?

It might help if you could explain why it is that, at your board meetings, each member of the board submits a report, but generally speaking, your minutes should record nothing other than the fact that members submitted their reports.

Normally, as Secretary, you would take custody of the reports on the Board's behalf.  Someone needs to keep track of where the reports are if they are ever needed again in the future.

However, normally the officer/director would present his/her report at the meeting.  The Minutes would only record that the report was provided, unless a motion was made to approve recommendations, unless the Board orders otherwise.

If the individual does not make an oral presentation like fellow members, you could raise a point of order the next time it happens.  State that as other members actually present their reports orally as well as the written version that this member should do so as well.

If the individual does not make an oral presentation like fellow members, you could raise a point of order the next time it happens.  State that as other members actually present their reports orally as well as the written version that this member should do so as well.

A member may raise a point of order when he thinks that a rule is being violated. To the best of my knowledge, no rule in RONR requires that a member present his report orally if other members do so.

Each member of the bod is responsible for specific; i.e. Greens committee, building, etc

For the committee reports which are read, write "The report of the X Committee was received and placed on file." For the committee reports which are not read, write "The report of the X Committee was placed on file." In neither case should the text of the report be included in the minutes.

Archived