The Official RONR Q & A Forums

hoa fraud

Guest Linda Morris

We are a lake lot owners association whose rules allow members only one pontoon boat.  After being advised by the Board of Directors 3 times that one of the boats had to be removed from the lake, said member sold one pontoon to is Mother (who is also a member on our lake) for the sum of $1.00, although she has never taken physical custody of the boat, and the boat remains docked at her son's resident.  I believe the son/mother have perpetrated a fraud as she never intended to take custody of the boat only to give him a means of violating our rule.  Is there anything in Robert's Rules that would cover such a situation or should we call our lawyer?

You may want to talk to a lawyer about this as this is outside the scope of RONR.  As far as RONR would be concerned, the two members each own a boat which means that they are following the 'one boat per member' rule.  However, I really do not see the issue here unless the second boat infringes on another member's rights (i.e. does it prevent another member from docking his/her boat on his/her property?)

Archived