The Official RONR Q & A Forums

special resolution

Guest Margaret

Our Society's bylaws may only be altered by a special resolution presented to the membership at a special general meeting.

My question relates to the method by which the special resolution is adopted by the members e.g. does the Chair simply ask for a motion to adopt the special resolution?   Thank you for your advice.

I'm not sure what you (or your bylaws) mean by a "special general meeting", but presuming you do, the appropriate thing is for the chair to call upon the author of the bylaw amendment to move its adoption.

Presuming the amendment has met various notice requirements (check your bylaws to see what they might be), this would all take place in the portion of the Standard Order of Business called "General Orders" - see pp 358, 365, & 596.

Well, if a special general meeting means, as I think is likely, a special meeting of the general assembly of the society, then it would presumably be called for a single purpose, and would not really need the Standard Order of Business.

The chair would recognize the author of the amendment for the purpose of moving it or if, as is likely, the proposed amendment has been submitted in writing, the author could state that fact, and the chair could call upon the secretary to read the proposed amendment.

Debate/discussion, amendment, and a variety of other possible ways of dealing with the proposal would follow, among which would be, of course, adopting it.

Archived