The Official RONR Q & A Forums

RONR in place of previous edition/s

RONALDRONR060511

The by-laws of our current organization (est. 1989) state "Generally, Roberts Rules of Order shall be the standard of authority on all parliamentary questions". Is it necessary to change the by-laws to specify RONR shall be the standard of authority before referring to RONR for answers at our meetings from this date forward?

Thanks

The by-laws of our current organization (est. 1989) state "Generally, Roberts Rules of Order shall be the standard of authority on all parliamentary questions". Is it necessary to change the by-laws to specify RONR shall be the standard of authority before referring to RONR for answers at our meetings from this date forward?

Thanks

Technically, the answer to your question is no. The current edition of Robert's Rules of Order is the 11th, published in 2011 with the title "Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised."

I agree, however, that the use of the word "Generally" makes it all a bit too fuzzy.  :)

RONR (11th ed.), p. vii:  "This Eleventh Edition supersedes all previous editions and is intended automatically to become the parliamentary authority in organizations whose bylaws prescribe 'Robert's Rules of Order,' 'Robert's Rules of Order Revised,' Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised,' or 'the current edition of' any of these , or the like, without specifying a particular edition."

Therefore there is no requirement to change your bylaws.

I'm new to this site so I hope this gets through to the members who responded to my post about RONR. I agree that the word "generally" is confusing, but it is the way the original board wrote the by-laws. As of right now we are stuck with it and I hope to eliminate the word in an upcoming revision of our by-laws. It appears that it is OK to use RONR as of this date. Right?

Archived