The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Discuss and approve....

Guest Brenda

What is the difference between the wording of an agenda item "Discuss and approve..." or "Discuss and consider approving..."?  The Assessor's office will not accept my agenda item of "Discuss and consider approving" our millage rate. They said is must say "Discuss and approve".  

What is the difference between the wording of an agenda item "Discuss and approve..." or "Discuss and consider approving..."?  The Assessor's office will not accept my agenda item of "Discuss and consider approving" our millage rate. They said is must say "Discuss and approve".  

It shouldn't say either of those things.   "Approval of............" is quite enough.

The problem is that this agenda was for the June meeting which the item was approved unanimously by our board.  NOW, the assessor's office is stating it was not worded corrected because of the word "consider".  We will now have to go through the entire process again which takes 60 days and try to get it approved again at the August meeting without the word "consider".  Just seems that the word 'consider' should not be that big of a deal since all the Legislator's office states is that you use an ACTION verb in the agenda item, which we did.... we used the word "approving".  Can't get more action than that!!   

This does seem to be beyond RONR. However, since you mentioned the need for an action verb, the action verb in your wording is "consider." The word "approving" is a noun formed by adding "ing" to a verb. I suspect that the concern is that all you plan to do is discuss and consider, but you don't say that you are going to vote on the issue.

The problem is that this agenda was for the June meeting which the item was approved unanimously by our board.  NOW, the assessor's office is stating it was not worded corrected because of the word "consider".  We will now have to go through the entire process again which takes 60 days and try to get it approved again at the August meeting without the word "consider".  Just seems that the word 'consider' should not be that big of a deal since all the Legislator's office states is that you use an ACTION verb in the agenda item, which we did.... we used the word "approving".  Can't get more action than that!!   

If the procedure is governed by the rules in RONR, the assessor is full of beans.  What matters is the wording of the motion that was passed, not how it was listed on the agenda.

If it's not governed by RONR, then your guess is as good as mine.

Archived