The Official RONR Q & A Forums

does a motion require authorship be identified with it to become a motion? if so, where is that denoted?

Guest mark

My organisation is required to notify membership of proposed amendments 30 days before our convention.  This year they sent out proposed amendments with no authorship indicated.   In order to become a motion, must there be authorship?  If that is true, where is that indicated in RoR?

In order to become a motion, must there be authorship? 

Well, someone has to make the motion at a meeting (and that person's name will be recorded in the minutes). Whether the person making the motion is the "author" of the motion is immaterial as far as RONR is concerned.

For example, I could give previous notice of a proposed amendment to the bylaws but, for some reason, I don't attend the next meeting. Any member could make the motion to amend the bylaws as proposed. The relevant fact is that the required notice was provided.

At the convention, the Chair should state the motion to amend the bylaws and in so doing indicate the mover:  "So and so has moved to amend the bylaws as follows...."  Ordinarily, however, proposed amendments go first to the bylaws committee (if there is one) for perfecting before they go to the assembly; if that is the case, it is assumed that the committee is the maker and there is no need for a second.

Archived