The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Confidentiality of nominating committee

Guest Cynthia Hrepich

Guest Cynthia Hrepich

It is been our Board's practice to have the VP select the nominating committee by August 1 and at the next General Meeting in September the nominating committee is introduced to the Body. So, it is done with the understanding that this is confidential information until they are introduced.

is this in Robert's Rule or just our Board's pratice? Some new members are challenging the way things have been done.

is this in Robert's Rule or just our Board's practice?

It's probably just your board's practice and, at first blush, it seems improper. If it's the general membership that's doing the electing then it's the general membership (not the board) that should be selecting the members of the nominating committee. The board should have nothing to do with it.

Actually, I think it would be more precise to say that the organization selects the members of its nominating committee by a method of their own choosing.  The many methods are about as different as the many organizations out there.  Some have a rigid selection process (the three most recently serving past presidents who are willing to serve).  Some have a completely open process (three persons elected at the previous annual meeting).  Some have combinations of those (immediate past president, president of the auxiliary, a member appointed by the executive board, and two members elected at the September meeting).

All have good and bad points.  

In the end, you organization will have the officers that you deserve.  However, be advised the nominating process DOES have consequences.

-Bob

If an organization wishes to have the VP select the nominating committee, that's up to them. It isn't what I would do, but they can do what they want. As far as the selections being confidential, that's up to them too, but I don't see any reason why it is beneficial to have that requirement. It certainly isn't one that is spelled out in RONR.

Actually, I think it would be more precise to say that the organization selects the members of its nominating committee by a method of their own choosing.  

Fair enough.

I guess I'm just skeptical that this particular organization has chosen the board and the board has chosen the VP and the VP has chosen to keep his selections confidential.

Archived