The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Adding an item to the agenda/Special Meeting

Guest marycathb@yahoo.com

George - not even if every member of the assembly that is meeting is in attendance?

Bruce, that might be an issue if the reason for the rule (p. 93, lines 3-4) that restricts the business announced in the meeting's call is clearly to protect absentees.

That does look plausible to me, and it looks to me as if that's what you have in mind.  But I haven't thought it through.  And the book doesn't give a reason.  What do you think?  (George is a PRP, but you have a boat.)

I'm going by the statement on p.263, l.29 - p.264, l.5.:

Rules protecting absentees cannot be suspended, even by unanimous consent or an actual unanimous vote, beccause the absentees do not consent to such suspension. For example, the rules requiring the presence of a quorum, restricting business transacted at a special meeting to that mentioned in the call of the meeting, and requiring previous notice of a proposed amendment to the bylaws protect absentees, if there are any, and cannot be suspended when any member is absent."

(bold italics emphasis mine)

But the call of a special meeting is not the same as an agenda. If there is enough business provided in the call so that the assembly adopts (at the meeting) an agenda for the meeting, then it is possible that some item related to the call was not originally included in the agenda and could then be added by suspending the rules.

This possibility is not mythical, merely theoretical. ☺

What rule would need to be suspended?

It doesn't matter. The magical motion to suspend the rules automatically covers whatever rules needs to be suspended, whether anyone can identify that rule or not.

I know that.  But it would be good for an aspiring parliamentarian, or anyone else, to know what rule needs to be suspended, if only to know that it is necessary to suspend the rules at all.

I didn't say no one could identify the rule. I said it didn't matter whether they could or not.

How can you say it doesn't matter? There are some rules that can't be suspended, so maybe there is a rule that they don't know what it is but they suspend the rules for good measure, just because there might be a rule and they don't want to violated it. But oops, it turns out that the rule they can't identify happens to be one that can't be suspended.

If no motion is pending, an adopted agenda can be amended even without suspending the rules, but it may sometimes be more convenient to do as the O. P. suggested, i.e., to "suspend the rules and add" some item to the agenda.

If this motion to "suspend the rules and add" some item to the agenda (made when no motion is pending) is defeated, can a motion then be made to amend the agenda by adding the same item, since the defeated motion was a motion to Suspend the Rules and the new motion is a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted? I would suppose so.

(Marycathb, I suggest you stick with the answer in post #2. Odds are it's spot-on.)  :)  

If this motion to "suspend the rules and add" some item to the agenda (made when no motion is pending) is defeated, can a motion then be made to amend the agenda by adding the same item, since the defeated motion was a motion to Suspend the Rules and the new motion is a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted? I would suppose so.

I agree. After all, obviously the motion failed simply because there are some members who won't vote for adding anything to the agenda without first debating the question (of adding the item to the agenda) at length. :-)

If the motion to amend the agenda is also defeated, then a member who voted against amending can still move to Reconsider.

And, failing all that, the item can simply be moved, without having been added to the agenda, after the rest of the items on the agenda have been gone through.

I'm as incredulous as you are. But, as I understand it (and I hope I'm wrong), you can make a motion to suspend the rules (note the plural form) without identifying the rule which needs (or rules which need) to be suspended.

RONR says as much (p. 262, ll. 1-2).

But what's the rule that might need to be suspended?

If a motion to suspend the rules and add some item to the agenda is made when no motion is pending, the rules that say that such a motion is debatable and amendable are being suspended.

On the other hand, I suspect that a motion "to suspend the rules and take from the table the question relating to ..." (see p. 262, ll. 12-13), if made at a time when it would be in order to simply move to take the question from the table, would be out of order (assuming that anyone would be silly enough to make it).

I realize that RONR doesn't call for the rule(s) that must be suspended to be mentioned in the motion, but p. 262 ff. talks about "the object" of the motion to suspend the rules. Even though the object is not stated in the motion, decisions have to be made based on the object of the motion. To me, that says that the object is important.

Archived