The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominating process

Guest Guest

At our annual meeting, members are nominated from the floor for the seats on the Board of Directors. Someone has proposed that 3 weeks before the meeting the secretary be nominations from the floor. sends out a request that all those wishing to be nominated should inform her. She would then send out thatlist to the members. At the meeting there would still be nominations from the floor. Is there anything wrong or illegal about the secretary asking for nominations 3 weeks before the meeting if nominations can still be made from the floor?

Is there anything wrong or illegal about the secretary asking for nominations 3 weeks before the meeting if nominations can still be made from the floor?

No, but the nominations wouldn't take place until the meeting itself.  However, there is nothing wrong with compiling a list of members who wouldn't be opposed to being nominated (though they still could decide to decline the office if elected and note that if nominated).

. . . a request that all those wishing to be nominated should inform her.

Such a request serves no purpose. As Mr. Harrison noted, the secretary's list would not constitute nominations. It might even mislead members into thinking it was a requirement.

What potential candidates should do is find another member who is willing to nominate them from the floor. Failing that, they can nominate themselves.

No, but the nominations wouldn't take place until the meeting itself.  However, there is nothing wrong with compiling a list of members who wouldn't be opposed to being nominated (though they still could decide to decline the office if elected and note that if nominated).

Wouldn't expressing a willingness to be nominated while having no intention of accepting office be considered dilatory?  I think that agreeing to be nominated is tantamount to agreeing to serve if elected.  Or ought to be.

Wouldn't expressing a willingness to be nominated while having no intention of accepting office be considered dilatory?  I think that agreeing to be nominated is tantamount to agreeing to serve if elected.  Or ought to be.

If there was no intention on serving then they should not have indicated they were willing to.  However, my point was that circumstances may change from the time the member expressed willingness to when the election happens and if they do change (or even if the member changes his mind) he can't be compelled to serve (and I would vigorously Appeal any contrary ruling).  Of course, if the member decides he is no longer willing to serve he should, if at all possible, let the assembly know of this before the election takes place.

Archived