The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Attachments to Minutes

Guest Laura McMillan

Guest Laura McMillan

Since the information in board minutes is so brief, is it permissible to attach a list of action items to the official minutes of a board with the notation at the end of the minutes  that a list of action items is attached?

Sure, as long as it is clear that the "action items" are not part of the minutes.

One hopes that those items became action items as a result of adopting motions that set the action(s) in motion.   Those motions will, of course, be in the minutes.   So the list could be a tad redundant.

But arranging the action items list(s) according to who is supposed to be looking after them, rather than the order of how they might have been originally adopted, seems like good administration.  And the action list could, probably should, include things from earlier meetings that have yet to be taken care of.  Keeps the pressure on...

Guest Laura McMillan

Thanks for the quick answer! Unfortunately, our action items are most often not in the form of a motion and therefore not recorded in the minutes.  This is the problem that led me to try and find a way to include this information in our records.  I serve on a board of directors for a timeshare, and whenever the board indicates the desire for something to be done, the management company (i.e. the general manager) always says he will take that as an action item, thus it never is recorded in our official records on file.  Are we remiss in not putting our requests in the form of a motion? 

Using the exact form of a motion is less important than recording in the minutes the result of the magic words you used: "the board indicates the desire for something to be done".  That comes mighty close to  a motion, in my book, and just what the board wanted "to be done" is exactly what does go in the minutes.

. . . "the board indicates the desire for something to be done".  That comes mighty close to  a motion, in my book, and just what the board wanted "to be done" is exactly what does go in the minutes.

Actually, it comes mighty close to an adopted motion. The minutes should also include "action items" that the board had no "desire" to do (i.e. defeated motions).

Archived