The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President voting and motions

Guest Jason

Hi,our By-Laws do not specify this and defaults to RR is why I ask.

Can a President of a Board of 15 , make motions and vote on anything on the agenda?

I say yes, but they have been doing the opposite way for so long..I dont think they ( Board) know.

RONR would not agree with you, except for "small" boards, of no more than a dozen or so.  

Otherwise, the chair should maintain the appearance of impartiality by refraining from making motions or voting (except where his one vote would make a difference, or where the vote is by ballot).

For more details, see FAQ#1.

And that's for boards where not more than about a dozen or so members are present. I suspect a 15-member board would frequently qualify as a "small" board.

You are absolutely right Edgar.Frequently we do have around 12, 13 "present".

What threw me off was the "dozen or "so"? What is a dozen or "so".That would mean 13,14,15??

It just wasnt that clear.

You are absolutely right Edgar.Frequently we do have around 12, 13 "present".

What threw me off was the "dozen or "so"? What is a dozen or "so".That would mean 13,14,15??

It just wasnt that clear.

it's not a line in the sand. Typically a small-ish board will either adopt the "relaxed" small board rules or the more formal rules depending on the nature of the board. A larger congenial board might function well with the small board rules while a smaller contentious board might be better off with more structure.

Hello... I've been looking through RROO and I still haven't been able to find where it definitely says that the president or presiding officer must relinquish the chair to make a motion. Can someone please point me to the page or pages with a specific reference.

Archived