The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Removal of life member

Guest Gary

Nothing in bylaws about protecting there status. Thanks for input.

Well, more to the point, is there anything in the bylaws about removing that status?  The bylaws must say something about that status, or it would not exist. 

If they provide conditions for life membership, and those conditions continue to exist (inlcuding, presumably "life"), then I don't think they would need language protecting it.

I'm pretty sure most people would think that bestowing life membership status means that a person would maintain that status for life, unless the bylaws said otherwise.  

We have quotas to meet to become a life member. Make so many fire calls and trainings.

I suppose you could amend the rules to, for example, increase the number of fire calls required for life membership and this person might no longer qualify. But that sounds like a pretty cheesy thing to do.

I think the answer is clearly "No."  If the individual has met the requirements at the time of his promotion to "life member" you cannot apply new requirements to him.  The only way out I can see is if you can find fraud--e.g., the number of fire calls or trainings was actually less than that required.

Thnings might be a little clearer if Guest Gary would tell us the 'why' for trying to remove this life member (assuming this is not a hypothetical question). I certainly agree that revoking life member status is probably not valid if the requirements for this membership class have been met, but if this is a question about removal from membership for disciplinary reasons, I don't see why life membership would necessarily provide immunity from such action. 

Thnings might be a little clearer if Guest Gary would tell us the 'why' for trying to remove this life member (assuming this is not a hypothetical question). I certainly agree that revoking life member status is probably not valid if the requirements for this membership class have been met, but if this is a question about removal from membership for disciplinary reasons, I don't see why life membership would necessarily provide immunity from such action. 

I agree with that.  Absent any special rules, I would think that a life member could be expelled from membership using the same disciplinary criteria as ordinary members, who are afforded certain due process rights under RONR, if not under the bylaws.  Typically, you can't just throw one out on an ordinary main motion.

There are no rules about maintaining life membership. Once you are a life member, your a life member for life. This person has done nothing in 10 months as a member but works as a part time employee and is a chairperson on a committee and has caused nothing but problems. Some of the members want him out.

If the person has caused problems as a Chairman, then he can be replaced as a Chairman but the individual/group who appointed him to begin with.  If he is causing a problem as an employee, then the issue is one of employment law and a lawyer needs to be contacted with regards to termination of his employment.

If there are issues at general membership meetings, the organization could censure him or order him removed from the meeting if he creates issues.

• 3 years later...

We have a Life Member who paid $100.00 about years ago to become a life member of our organization.  This person has openly spread misinformation and damaged the reputation of our organization.  According to our Bylaws this person as just a regular member would be under disciplinary review for many charges and could be suspended or expelled. Our Bylaws do not address nor make an exception for a life member.   Can we legally hold a disciplinary hearing and remove this person from our membership rolls.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.