The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Appeal Decision of Chair

Lori Sweet

"When an appeal is debatable, no member is allowed to speak more than once except the presiding officer - who need not leave the chair while so speaking, but should stand. The first time the chair speaks in debate on the appeal, he is entitled to preference over other members seeking recognition. He can answer arguments against the decision or give additional reasons by speaking a second time at the close of the debate. He may announce his intention to speak in rebuttal and ask if there are others who wish to speak first. Even when the appeal is not debatable, the chair can, when stating the question on it, give the reasons for his decision without leaving the chair."  RONR pp. 257-258

If a Point of Order is made, and the person Appeals from the decision of the chair, does the maker of the motion have an opportunity to defend their motion upon appeal or does that person exhaust their ability to have the floor?

Just clarifying procedure.  Thanks!

Could the Southern Princess specify what she means by "the motion" that the maker wishes to defend.

For clarification .... if a Point of Order is raised, the Chair rules, and the maker of the Point of Order then appeals from the decision of the chair, does this same person have an opportunity to remain at the mic to give reason for the appeal?  

The appellant doesn't even have to be at a microphone at all, nor get (the usual) recognition from the chair  --  you just can holler it out.  See p. 259.  Presuming a second follows, the chair explains his ruling then the appellant, and all other members, can speak once in debate on the appeal.  I guess the appellant is entitled to speak first, after proper recognition, (and after the chair speaks) although I don't think the book says that "the appellant is first in line"  explicitly.

Thank you!  I knew the Chair has the option to speak first, and also has an opportunity to speak a second time at the end of debate prior to the vote.  I also understand the rules of debate are different for appeal, and that those with voting privileges only have 1 opportunity to speak instead of 2 times (as with other debates).  Double checking so that I can advise appropriately for the group I am assisting.

Archived