The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Removing director

Guest Wanda Lumley

At a general annual meeting of our non profit organization we elected 16 directors. This was done by the membership that attended the meeting. One of the directors elected was targeted by other directors and at a board meeting voted to have her removed and it was carried by a majority of the directors present. My question is how can this be right? If the membership voted her in then how can they remove her?

I don't see how a Board member can be removed from office by the Board, unless the society has such rules.  In some of the organizations I work with, if a Board member misses three meetings in a row, he or she can be removed (for dereliction of duty). But, aside from this, and barring any rules to the contrary, he or she cannot be removed--in your case, the Board member was properly elected by the assembly.

At a general annual meeting of our non profit organization we elected 16 directors. This was done by the membership that attended the meeting. One of the directors elected was targeted by other directors and at a board meeting voted to have her removed and it was carried by a majority of the directors present. My question is how can this be right? If the membership voted her in then how can they remove her?

Maybe they can't.  You'll have to check the bylaws to see if there are any rules allowing the board to remove board members, and if so, under what conditions.   By default, RONR does not give them that power.

Archived