The Official RONR Q & A Forums

"In accordance with"?

Guest expeditions

Our club's bylaws say that membership applications will be processed "in accordance with these bylaws".  The bylaws set forth a very concise process for review and voting on new member applicants by the BOARD only.  Some members of the club want the entire membership at large to have the right to review pending membership applications and give feedback to the Board before the Board votes on an application.  The Board has indicated that because of the "in accordance with" language in our bylaws, we can't stray from the exact membership process set forth in the bylaws by adding this "membership application review process" (wherein the whole membership gets the chance to review the applications and give feedback).  Is this correct?  Does the inclusion of the phrase "in accordance with these bylaws" restrict our club's ability to add other processes/checks/balances on the membership application review process, to the extent they're not expressly set forth in the bylaws?  Do we have to amend the bylaws to allow for such member review, or can we do it in ADDITION to the process spelled out in the bylaws?

FWIW, the Board says this "in accordance with" rule is a RONR rule, which is why I'm bringing the question here.  I don't need an interpretation of our specific bylaws provision - just an answer about whether, under RONR, the "in accordance with" language prohibits the inclusion of additional procedures over and above those expressly laid out in the bylaws.

FWIW, the Board says this "in accordance with" rule is a RONR rule, which is why I'm bringing the question here.  I don't need an interpretation of our specific bylaws provision - just an answer about whether, under RONR, the "in accordance with" language prohibits the inclusion of additional procedures over and above those expressly laid out in the bylaws.

The (unwritten) rule in RONR is that words mean what they say. We thought you knew that.  :)

Archived