The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Tabling a motion

Guest Sunshine63

Our Board has 11 members 3 were not at the Board meeting, that left an even number to vote.

At our Monthly Board meeting a motion was made and seconded, then the discussion, when it came to a vote it was tied. The motion was never removed, but the President tabled it til the next monthly board meeting. 

My question is can it be tabled until the next meeting ? Will it have to be brought up again as a new motion?

Our By-laws are generic and do not cover tabling a motion. Our Board members only have RRRIB to go by, no one is a lawyer or parliamentarian.

Things were OK up until the "president tabled it", then no more...

A tie vote defeats a motion since it requires a majority in favor to pass something.

It isn't clear to me what "never removed" means, but it sounds as though the president thought the motion was still pending - it wasn't, it was defeated.  There was nothing left to table (which was also the wrong motion to use - postpone my be what he was thinking of).

Anybody can renew the motion next meeting, however, as New Business.

Our Board has 11 members 3 were not at the Board meeting, that left an even number to vote.

At our Monthly Board meeting a motion was made and seconded, then the discussion, when it came to a vote it was tied. The motion was never removed, but the President tabled it til the next monthly board meeting. 

My question is can it be tabled until the next meeting ? Will it have to be brought up again as a new motion?

Our By-laws are generic and do not cover tabling a motion. Our Board members only have RRRIB to go by, no one is a lawyer or parliamentarian.

Since a tie is less than a majority, the motion was defeated.  Simple as that.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived