The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How to Fill the Office Of President

Guest VBaby

Recently, our organization has been suffering from a lack of participation from its members.  Because of this lack of participation, no elections were held for the offices of President and Secretary for the 2013-2014 term.  The Vice President resigned at the beginning of 2014.  Who would be the current president of the organization?

Sound like you don't have one. You'll need to hold an election. In the meantime, any member can call the next regular (or special) meeting to order and conduct a brief election for a secretary pro tem (a temporary secretary) who will then conduct a brief election for a chair pro tem (a temporary presiding officer). Or, I suppose, you could reverse that order.

A more permanent solution might require figuring out why no one wants these jobs. Perhaps the former office holders made them appear more difficult than they have to be. Perhaps you're asking too much of them. Perhaps it's time to close up shop.

Wouldn't the election of a chair (pro tem) come first?

I suppose so (though I'm not sure there's a hard and fast rule). I guess I was imagining a situation when the selection of a secretary pro tem would be the less contentious so it might make sense to do that first. Just to get the ball rolling. But, yes, it's probably more proper to select a chair pro tem first.

We recently had the President state in an executive meeting that he was interested in the opening Exec Dir position. The treasurer stepped forward with that information, contacted the governance committee (that had previously been set up to conduct the nationwide search that had been planned), he was interviewed twice and brought to the board meeting in the same month the request that he be nominated as ED. It passed barely. This happened in a matter of weeks. There were several members upset because it was not announced to the board that the ED was retiring - only the Exec Committee knew and we knew for a year. Since it was not announced, no one else on the board had the opportunity to apply  for the job.

Here's the question - Now that the President has been nominated as the ED and will take over that position August 1st - is he still the president? The VP has stated that she is not interested in standing in as President until Board nomination occur in Nov. We do not have another meeting until August and it is a phone in with our annual retreat happening in Sept. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Here's the question - Now that the President has been nominated as the ED and will take over that position August 1st - is he still the president? 

The president is still the president until he resigns (and his resignation is accepted) or he is removed from office or his term ends. Nothing in RONR prevents him from being both president and executive director at the same time (and, of course, it's possible he won't be elected as executive director). 

If and when the president does leave office, the vice-president automatically becomes the president. She has no choice (other than to then resign as president).

By the way, assuming this is not the same situation described in the original post, it's best to post new questions as new topic (even if you find an existing topic that''s similar). This forum works best that way.

Archived