The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Probation is a good or bad standing

Guest sigmaflower

In our chapter constitution someone is automatically placed on probation if their GPA is below a 2.5. This happened to our newly elected president, so he was also automatically removed from office because the parliamentarian felt that probation is not in good standing and therefore he cannot hold an office. I have be searching through Robert's Rule and do not see a clear position on whether probation is a good or bad standing. If someone could point me to where is say what type of standing probation is and what someone on probation can do that would be incredibly helpful. Thank you  

In our chapter constitution someone is automatically placed on probation if their GPA is below a 2.5. This happened to our newly elected president, so he was also automatically removed from office because the parliamentarian felt that probation is not in good standing and therefore he cannot hold an office. I have be searching through Robert's Rule and do not see a clear position on whether probation is a good or bad standing. If someone could point me to where is say what type of standing probation is and what someone on probation can do that would be incredibly helpful. Thank you  

Robert's Rules don't say what probation means, but the book does define a member in good standing:

"*Members in good standing are those whose rights as members of the assembly are not under suspension as a consequence of disciplinary proceedings or by operation of some specific provision in the bylaws. A member may thus be in good standing even if in arrears in payment of dues (see pp. 406, 571–72). If only some of an individual's rights as a member of the assembly are under suspension (for example, the rights to make motions and speak in debate), other rights of assembly membership may still be exercised (for example, the rights to attend meetings and vote)."   RONR (11th ed.), p. 6fn

our constitution states : "    i.      A member on Probation, unless overruled by specific terms of their probation, may not:

1.      Participate in Ritual.

2.      Hold an office or chair a committee.

3.      Vote on Constitutional Amendments, matters of membership, or their own status.

4.      Act in the capacity as a Big Sister."

but it also states "1.      Big Sister Eligibility

a.       A member must be active the semester immediately preceding taking a little sister.

b.      The member must be in good standing with the sisterhood, including cumulative GPA, service, dues, and attendance."

and officers must be in good standing

this seems to be the only place where is specifically states what good standing is. Does that simple refer to being a big or for any active member?

And a bit more on "Good Standing":

RONR/11 defines the term "member in good standing" on p. 6 in the footnote as referring to a member whose membership rights are not in suspension, either as a consequence of disciplinary proceedings (Chapter XX) or by operation of some specific provision in the bylaws of the organization.

So if you use the phrase "in good standing" in the bylaws, be sure to define exactly what you mean: what causes a member not to be in good standing, what he has to do to get back into the good graces of the association, &c. Also, you should specify which membership rights, duties, privileges, &c. are lost or suspended (or retained) by a member as a consequence of his being in "bad standing" as distinct from his being in good standing or ceasing to be a member at all.

Looks to me that "Probation" is a part of the (implicit) definition of "Good Standing" but you will have to figure out the rest for yourself.  And then amend the bylaw to say what you men.

Archived