The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Discrepency in minutes read

Guest Terry

Our local Twp. Meeting always has the minutes voted and accepted real fast by the 3 board members. Before the meeting begins, the public has the opportunity to read the minutes and treasure report every time. I noticed the minutes left out some details and I want to let them know they need to ammend them. Do I stand up when they call on a vote to accept the minutes ? I thought the public votes on accepting/ denying the minutes. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I thought the public votes on accepting/ denying the minutes.

Is this a meeting of the board or the township (i.e. "the public)?

Non-members (of the body that is meeting) have no right to vote. Assuming the minutes have been approved, you could contact a board member (assuming this was a board meeting) and express your concerns.

Note, too, that there shouldn't be too many "details" in the minutes. Just the facts (e.g. motions adopted). The minutes should not include debate (or summaries thereof) though I think it's not uncommon for the minutes of municipal bodies to do so.

Finally, as always, your rules may (and no doubt do) vary. It's conceivable, for example, that even though this is (or might be) a meeting of the township, the board has been given the authority to approve the minutes.

There should not be a vote on the minutes. When they have been read, the chair asks for any corrections to the minutes, which if disputed are handled by a majority vote. When there are no further corrections, the chair declares the minutes approved.

Note that only members of whatever body is meeting may propose or vote on corrections.

Archived