The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Budget Changes

Guest T. Leed

If you have a budget that has been voted for the year. Can you change the budget at a regular business meeting without giving notice to members not present if you have a stewardhip team that does the budget for the year and voted on?

An adopted motion can be amended (changed) by (1) a two-thirds vote, (2) the affirmative vote of a majority of the entire membership, or (3), with previous notice, just a majority vote (i.e. more than half the members present and voting).

So notice is not required but it might make changing the budget easier to accomplish.

As always, your rules may vary (e.g. the authority your "stewardship team" has).

Very little in RONR-Land is carved in stone. Situations change. Opinions change. The budget that made sense in January might not make sense in July.

Though there's been no mention of a board.

But I think Transpower's quotation applies to a stewardship team also; and for anyone else, for that matter; don't you agree?

(I do find Transpower's posts riotously entertaining, but I can't wait for the movie, where he beats up those huge robots in the 7th sequel)

No, I don't....

You don't think this statement would be valid? :

"...if it is desired that the assembly adopt an annual budget but that the stewardship team or Mr. Guest or The Transpower or Nancy N. or some or all of them and anyone else be empowered to alter it to deal with contingencies that may develop, the bylaws (or the budget resolution) must specifically confer this power on the stewardship team or Mr. Guest or The Transpower or Nancy N. or some or all of them and anyone else."

Archived