The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amendments

Guest Robert S

Yes, the motion can be postponed though a vote is required (a single member can't stop the vote on the original motion or amendment by simply moving to Postpone).  Also, Laying a motion on the Table (RONR pp. 209-219) is a totally different motion than Postpone (RONR pp. 179-191) and should not be used interchangeably.

Thank you for your input.....The 2nd motion was made to table the motion to a later date and allow a committee to gather information pertaining to the original motion......So you are telling me that this is in order but requires a majority vote.....

Thank you for your input.....The 2nd motion was made to table the motion to a later date and allow a committee to gather information pertaining to the original motion......So you are telling me that this is in order but requires a majority vote.....

I lined through the improper language, although it's not improper to add when the committee should report back to the assembly.  And yes, this is proper with a main motion or a main motion with amendments pending, and is adopted by majority vote.

I lined through the improper language, although it's not improper to add when the committee should report back to the assembly.  And yes, this is proper with a main motion or a main motion with amendments pending, and is adopted by majority vote.

Though it sounds like Postpone wasn't even the correct motion to use since they were wanting to refer the motion to a Committee which is a different motion altogether.

Though it sounds like Postpone wasn't even the correct motion to use since they were wanting to refer the motion to a Committee which is a different motion altogether.

Yeah, reading along, I got that sense too; or that they wanted to Postpone the question, and, separately, direct a committee to gather some information -- deliberately not relegating teh question to the custody of the committee, which would remove the question from the hands of the assembly, and they don't want that.  Which seems kinda eminently sensible to me (unless "kinda" is incompatible with "eminently", but I'd have to confer with my Research Team, a used-dictionary salesman and an MIT graduate, before I'd commit myself, and for that matter, to see if this multiple-assignment technique is really legit, it's making me queasy, or maybe that's the anchovy pizza lunch).

When a motion has been made and seconded and is currently under discussion, can a person from the floor move to table (postpone) the motion to a later time stopping a vote?

A person, if a member, and once recognized, can move to postpone the motion to a later time (no later than the next regular meeting).  That is not the same as "tabling" which is rarely in order.  The motion to Postpone requires a second as well, and a majority vote to pass.  If the motion to postpone fails, debate on the current motion picks up where it left off. 

Actually, if the motion to postpone passes, debate on the current motion also picks up where it left off, but not until that time arrives.

Archived