The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominating Co-Chairs - Process absent Rules

Guest MLD

Absent adoption of rules and procedures to determine the process to nominate and select co-chairs, can the committee move to vote on rules or move to nominate co-chairs for a vote?  What is the best practice?

After a committee has been selected, if the appointing power has not named a chairman, the first named committee member serves as temporary chairman in order to call a meeting of the committee. The temporary chairman should call the meeting to order and either nominate someone else to be chairman and ask for additional nominations or simply ask for nominations. I assume that one would follow the same procedure if the committee is required to have co-chairs, but each person on the committee would be able to nominate two people and to vote twice. I don't know what you would do if it requires both chairs to call for a meeting. RONR doesn't say.

Absent adoption of rules and procedures to determine the process to nominate and select co-chairs, can the committee move to vote on rules or move to nominate co-chairs for a vote?  What is the best practice?

RONR's only advice on co-chairs is not to have them. Since you're stuck with them, you'll need to figure out what will work best for your organization.

I've seen some organizations which elect them individually and others which elect them as a team.

Archived