The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motions and Seconds By Non-Members and Guests

Guest SFBXB

I have scoured the forum and can't find an answer to my question.

Is it true that non-members and guests are NOT permitted to make a motion or to second a motion?

My interpretation of Robert's Rules does not permit non-members or guests to make or second a motion.  I manage the minutes of a number of small boards where seconds are not necessary, however, the enthusiasm of the meeting participants (members and guests) is so great that individuals climb over one another to move or second adoption of prior meeting minutes or to ratify the prior year's Officer actions. It's really quite funny to watch.  Though the answer to my inquiry may be obvious to those who are more familiar with parliamentary procedure, I'd like a cite to a rule that addresses this topic, if indeed one exists.

Thanks in advance for responses to this inquiry.

SFBXB

I have scoured the forum and can't find an answer to my question.

Is it true that non-members and guests are NOT permitted to make a motion or to second a motion?

My interpretation of Robert's Rules does not permit non-members or guests to make or second a motion.  I manage the minutes of a number of small boards where seconds are not necessary, however, the enthusiasm of the meeting participants (members and guests) is so great that individuals climb over one another to move or second adoption of prior meeting minutes or to ratify the prior year's Officer actions. It's really quite funny to watch.  Though the answer to my inquiry may be obvious to those who are more familiar with parliamentary procedure, I'd like a cite to a rule that addresses this topic, if indeed one exists.

Thanks in advance for responses to this inquiry.

SFBXB

That is true.  " Any nonmembers allowed in the hall during a meeting, as guests of the organization, have no rights with reference to the proceedings (pp. 644–45)."  RONR (11th ed.),  p. 648

It should also be noted that no vote is taken on the final approval of the minutes  (pp. 354-355) and ratifying the actions of officers is not necessary and improper unless they acted outside of the authority granted to them in the bylaws or parliamentary authority.

Archived