The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Call to the Meeting

Guest Bill Cummings

No.  The "call of the meeting" is basically just a notice (or reminder, depending on the exact situation) of the meeting, and may include previous notice of motions that require previous notice or for which previous notice makes a difference (for example, the motion to rescind).  (See RONR p 459). An agenda is something else, see page 371 and following.  Sometimes a proposed agenda (or even just a an informal agenda, to give the members some idea of what will come up at the meeting) is sent out in advance with the call of the meeting, but this is not a binding agenda unless adopted by the assembly.

See also http://www.robertsrules.com/faq.html#14

Perhaps I worded my question poorly wherein I wanted to ask:  If notice of a regular Board meeting stating date, time and place and which would also include the agenda for said meeting, is mailed and/or displayed as required by the Bylaws,  be considered the "call to the meeting"?

Yes, notice of a meeting, even a regular meeting, could be considered the call of (not "to") the meeting though regular meetings don't usually require a notice (i.e. a call). But it sometimes happens that, though the date of regular meetings is fixed in the bylaws (e.g. the third Tuesday of each month), the time and place might vary, thus requiring some sort of notice (if not, technically speaking, a "call").

Note that special (i.e. non-regular) meetings are sometimes referred to as "called" meetings.

As for agendas, see FAQ #14.

Archived