The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Adjourned special meeting without notice

Guest Alan

While the answer is clearly yes, I think every one here would agree that providing notice of the date and time of the adjourned meeting is a very good idea.

Yes indeed. As noted on page 244 (RONR, 11th ed.), although notice of an adjourned meeting is not required, "it is desirable to give such notice if feasible."

Thank you for the responses.  I had previously read the language on page 244, but didn't know if the language immediately after that quoted was a qualifier of some kind: "An adjourned meeting should not be confused with a special meeting, which is a separate session called, in ordinary societies, as prescribed by the bylaws." Comments?

Thank you for the responses.  I had previously read the language on page 244, but didn't know if the language immediately after that quoted was a qualifier of some kind: "An adjourned meeting should not be confused with a special meeting, which is a separate session called, in ordinary societies, as prescribed by the bylaws." Comments?

Perhaps what is said on p. 93 provides additional clarity. 

"An adjourned meeting is a meeting in continuation of the session of the immediately preceding regular or special meeting."  RONR (11th ed.), p. 93 emphasis added by me.

If you remember this you're good to go. 

Whichever type of meeting is being continued is the kind of meeting it is when you meet again, and doesn't change a regular meeting to a special meeting.

Archived