The Official RONR Q & A Forums

I can't vote, but can I make motions?

Guest Mike

Our fraternity's annual meeting is coming up.  There will be many members in attendance but per our bylaws only our chapter delegates and national officers may vote.  Committee chairs can not vote unless also a delegate or officer.

I am the bylaws committee chair.  In the past our bylaws chair has also been a delegate but this is the first year I am aware of where the bylaws chair will not be a delegate.  Therefore I have no vote.

Tonight I received a script from our parliamentarian that directs me to make motions to introduce the bylaws we will be voting on.  Can I make motions to bring business before the group as a non-voter or must these motions be made by a voter?  I couldn't find anything in RONR either way.

Our fraternity's annual meeting is coming up.  There will be many members in attendance but per our bylaws only our chapter delegates and national officers may vote.  Committee chairs can not vote unless also a delegate or officer.

I am the bylaws committee chair.  In the past our bylaws chair has also been a delegate but this is the first year I am aware of where the bylaws chair will not be a delegate.  Therefore I have no vote.

Tonight I received a script from our parliamentarian that directs me to make motions to introduce the bylaws we will be voting on.  Can I make motions to bring business before the group as a non-voter or must these motions be made by a voter?  I couldn't find anything in RONR either way.

As far as the rules in RONR are concerned, only members of an assembly (as defined on p. 3) may make motions, and it appears that you will not be a member of this assembly since you will not be entitled to vote. Perhaps there is something in your rules about this, however, which leads your parliamentarian to believe that it will be in order for you to do so.

In the past our bylaws chair has also been a delegate but this is the first year I am aware of where the bylaws chair will not be a delegate.  Therefore I have no vote.

I just thought it was really odd of a PRP to make such a mistake.

Since you're breaking new ground by not being a delegate, does the parliamentarian know this? 

It was made known to her, but I'm sure we're not her only client so she might have forgotten.

The bylaws chair is appointed a year in advance.  It is not known at that point who the chapter delegates will be.  In my case, however, I am an alumni-at-large or an alumni who does not belong to a specific chapter (There are none in my area.) so it was a given I would not be a delegate.

It was made known to her, but I'm sure we're not her only client so she might have forgotten.

The bylaws chair is appointed a year in advance.  It is not known at that point who the chapter delegates will be.  In my case, however, I am an alumni-at-large or an alumni who does not belong to a specific chapter (There are none in my area.) so it was a given I would not be a delegate.

Well tell her and see what she says.  :)

Well shoot.  Since Daniel Honeymann helped write the book he's probably right.

Aside from spelling his name wrong, there's no question that he's "right" on all things RONR.....I was exploring his last sentence, which indicated there may be some reason for the oversight, or there may some rule outside of RONR that comes into play....I suspect, like you, it's something simple and that's why I suggested you ask her directly.  I'm sure she'll appreciate you inquiry. 

Archived