The Official RONR Q & A Forums

e-mail distribution in non-profit club

Dennis Roberts

Our club has not created a e-mail policy but we have created an e-mail list of members only. Our by-laws state that partisan politics and religion are not acceptable at meetings but does not cover mass e-mail distribution. Unfortunately we have a member that has been engaging in these habits and also sending information not authorized by the board to the entire e-mail list. Would you please update me on acceptable procedures such as a standing rule without changing the entire by-law structure.

Thank You.

Well, you (-all, at a meeting), could adopt a Standing Rule that the club e-mail list is to be used only for specified club purposes.  Unfortunately, now that the cat (or the e-mail list) is out of the bag it could be a bit of a problem to enforce that rule.  One they get an e-mail list,  spammers (which could include your political/religious member) are tough to stop. (Of course, if you eliminate politics and religion (and cats) there will be nothing left on the Internet to carry on about.)

Chapter 20 deals with disciplinary procedures that you might invoke once your club e-mail rule is in place, but it isn't easy going.   The threat might be enough to slow your friend down.

Although I appreciate your advice JD, I was wondering how I would get a second or even a third opinion

Here's a second opinion:

Nothing in RONR prevents someone from sending e-mail messages to someone else. If you think your rules have been violated you can try disciplining the delinquent member. I'd probably start without whoever made everyone's e-mail addresses available in the first place.

Archived